[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]Biblical Tels - Megiddo, Hazor & Beer Sheba, Israel[an error occurred while processing this directive][an error occurred while processing this directive] Tel Megiddo, Tel Hazor and Tel Beer Sheba are biblical tels that have been recognized as World Heritage Sites of Israel. "Tel", also written "tell", is a prehistoric settlement mound. It is conical with a flat top and sloping sides.
Tel Megiddo is a mound comprising 26 layers of ancient ruins located near the Kibbutz of Megiddo. It is located on a narrow pass in which an ancient trade route passing through it continues to Eygpt and Assyria. The site has been inhabited from 7000 BC until 586 BC, around the time when the First Temple of Jerusalem was destroyed. Tel Megiddo was first excavated between 1903 and 1905 by an archaeological team headed by Gottlieb Schumacher of the German Society for the Study of Palestine.
Tel Megiddo, Israel
Tel Hazor, presently known as Tell el-Qedah, is an archaeological site with one of the largest and richest known archaeological remains in Israel. It is located in Upper Galilee, north of the Sea of Galilee overlooking Lake Merom. The King of Hazor ruled the area around the 14th century BC. Ancient documents describe the king pledging allegiance to the Egyptian Pharoah. Hazor also appeared in the Book of Joshua as the seat of Jabin, a powerful Canaanite king that led the Canaanites against Joshua but was defeated by him. Hazor also appeared in the Book of Judges.
Tel Beer Sheba is located in southern Israel. It is believed to be the remains of the biblical town of Be'er Sheva. The modern town of Beersheba is located to the west of this archaeological site. Be'er Sheva has featured in various books of the Bible including in Judges 20:1-3 and I Samuel 3:19-21. Archaeological discoveries here pointed to the site having been in use since the Chalcolithic period, 4,000 BC.
Tel Hazor, Israel
Biblical Tels - Megiddo, Hazor & Beer Sheba was inscribed as a World Heritage Site during the 29th session of the World Heritage Committee in Durban, South Africa, on 10 - 17 July, 2005.
World Heritage Site Inscription DetailsLocation: N32 35 49.992 E35 10 55.992
Inscription Year: 2005
Type of Site: Cultural
Inscription Criteria: II, III, IV, VI
Tel Be'er Sheva, Israel
|[an error occurred while processing this directive][an error occurred while processing this directive]|