[an error occurred while processing this directive]

[an error occurred while processing this directive]Crespi d'Adda, Italy

[an error occurred while processing this directive][an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]


Crespi d'Adda company towns in Capriate San Gervasio in Lombardy, Italy. They were built in the 19th and 20th century to house workers of the manufacturing centers there. It was named after industrialist Cristoforo Benigno Crespi, a textile manufacturer, who in 1875 bought land in a valley on the banks of the river Adda. He set up his textile manufacturing plant on the site between the rivers Adda and Brembo, introducing the most advanced methods for spinning and weaving cotton.

The town that Crespi built and his plant was illuminated by electric light, making it the first village in Italy to receive public lighting. The company town, with living quarters for the employees, has row houses built in the design drawn from the factory houses in England.


Crespi d'Adda, Lombardy, Italy
Crespi d'Adda, Lombardy, Italy
photo sourcehttp://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Crespi_panorama.jpg
authorshipLuigi Chiesa
photo licensing


In 1889 the management of the town and its manufacturing plant passed to Cristoforo's son Silvio, who improved the living condition of the workers by building detached houses with their own gardens. This enabled Crespi d'Adda to survive the next fifty years without seeing any social disorder and strikes disrupting the plant.

Crespi d'Adda finally came to an end due to the Great Depression of 1929 and the fascist fiscal policy prevalent in Italy at that time, which forced the Crespi family to sell the town to the Italian textile enterprise. Today the town founded by Cristoforo Benigno Crespi is still inhabited by descendants of the original workers.

Crespi d'Adda was inscribed as a World Heritage Site during the 19th session of the World Heritage Committee in Berlin, Germany, on 4 - 9 December, 1995.

World Heritage Site Inscription Details

Location: N 45 35 36 E 9 32 18 in the province of Bergamo, Lombardy
Inscription Year: 1995
Type of Site: Cultural
Inscription Criteria: IV, V
[an error occurred while processing this directive][an error occurred while processing this directive]