[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]La Chaux-de-Fonds/Le Locle, Watchmaking Town Planning, Switzerland[an error occurred while processing this directive][an error occurred while processing this directive] La Chaux-de-Fonds/Le Locle, Watchmaking Town Planning is a World Heritage inscription celebrating the universal outstanding values of two cities in the remote Swiss Jura mountains, in Switzerland. La Chaux-de-Fonds and Le Locle are located close to each other, and both are the center of Swiss watch making. Situated in mountainous terrain in the canton of Neuchâtel, the two cities are ill-suited for farming. Hence they had to turn to other forms of economic activity, settling on watch making.
La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland
Le Chaux-de-Fonds has a population of 37,413 as of 2009. It is today the third largest city in the French-speaking part of Switzerland after Geneva and Lausanne. The city produces watches for Cartier, Girard-Perregaux, TAG Heuer, Corum, Breitling, Louis Vuitton, Juvenia, British Masters, Movado, Ulysse Nardin, Gallet and Bell & Ross, among others.
Le Chaux-de-Fonds was established in 1656. From the early days, it was a center for watch making. In 1794, a huge fire destroyed the original town, necessitating a rebuilt. The new town was planned with a grid system. At that time, it was the first town in Switzerland to implement such an urban design. However, it was found that the town plan was ideal for its role as a watch-making center.
Le Locle is the third smallest city in Switzerland (cities in Switzerland need a population of 10,000 and above). Le Locle has a population of 10,118 as of 2009. It produces watches carrying the brands Tissot, Ulysse Nardin and Zenith. The city has a clock museum, the Musée d'Horlogerie du Locle.
La Chaux-de-Fonds/Le Locle, Watchmaking Town Planning was inscribed as a World Heritage Site during the 33rd session of the World Heritage Committee in Seville, Spain, on 22 - 30 June, 2009.
World Heritage Site Inscription DetailsLocation: N47 6 14 E6 49 58
Inscription Year: 2009
Type of Site: Cultural
Inscription Criteria: IV
|[an error occurred while processing this directive][an error occurred while processing this directive]|