[an error occurred while processing this directive]

[an error occurred while processing this directive]University and Historic Precinct of Alcalá de Henares, Spain

[an error occurred while processing this directive][an error occurred while processing this directive] University and Historic Precinct of Alcalá de Henares is a World Heritage Site in Alcalá de Henares, in the province and Autonomous Community of Madrid, Spain.

Alcalá de Henares stands as the first planned university city in the world. It is located in the autonomous community of Madrid, about 35 km to the northeast of downtown Madrid. With a population of 200,000, it is the second largest city in the area after Madrid itself.

The area around Alcalá de Henares has been inhabited since the Copper Age. In the 1st century BC, the Romans built a town here called Complutum. After the decline of Roman influence, it was ruled by the Visigoths until 711, when the Moors arrived. Then in 1118 it was reconquered by the Archbishop of Toledo.


Universidad de Alcalá de Henares, occupying the premises of Universidad Complutense
Universidad de Alcalá de Henares, occupying the premises of Universidad Complutense
photo sourcehttp://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Universidad_de_Alcala.jpg
authorshipMichael.chlistalla
photo licensing


The most significant historical sights within Alcalá de Henares are its university and its cathedral. The university was founded in 1496 and became a famous center of learning, serving as a model for other universities in Europe. That university, called Universidad Complutense, was relocated to Madrid in 1836. Occupying the original campus of Universidad Complutense is the Universidad de Alcalá, founded much later.

Apart from the university, the other most important historic building in Alcalá de Henares is the cathedral, called the Cathedral-Magistral of Saints Justus and Pastor. It was constructed between 1497 and 1514.

World Heritage Site Inscription Details

University and Historic Precinct of Alcalá de Henares was inscribed as a World Heritage Site during the 22nd session of the World Heritage Committee in Kyoto, Japan, on 30 November - 5 December, 1998.

Location: N40 28 53 W3 22 5 in the Province and Autonomous Community of Madrid.
Inscription Year: 1998
Type: Cultural
Inscription Criteria: II, IV, VI
[an error occurred while processing this directive][an error occurred while processing this directive]